Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A bird-themed baby shower

Psalm 127:3
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.


Babies make my heart melt.  They fill my arms and make the wonder of life rise up anew.  And new Mommies make me smile wistfully as I think of the new experiences and adventures that await them.


I have a good friend, Laura.  You can meet her here.  I had the honor of hosting her baby shower for our church ladies group.  I wanted to do it justice- her justice.  One should feel special at their first baby shower.  They should be surrounded by love, companionship, and support.






She has a unique nursery.  Completely her. Simply beautiful in the colors of autumn leaves and forest trees.  Warm colors.  Fitting colors for a little girl that will be surrounded by warmth and laughter. 
.
 Somehow between her, yard sales, and good friends (another story for her to tell) her nursery has developed a theme- birds.  I ADORE themes.  They make me giddy.


So a shower developed with paper birds, wooden eggs made elegant with Hodge podge and origami paper, and pleated circle garlands to make it look festive and unique to Laura. . (Another post will give details on how-to's. Bear with me ;-)




Pleated circle garlands adorned with flowers and buttons


The smell of harvest filled the air.


And paper birds adorned mantles and chandeliers


 We played games both old and new.  We of course played the guess the candy bar in the diaper game.  It is a baby shower classic.  Props to all the adventurous souls who dared the "Pregnancy Dash" game.  They crammed down crackers, posed for a pic with a balloon under a maternity shirt, tried to tie their shoes with said balloon, then "delivered" the baby by popping the balloon without using their hands.  It was fun.  It allowed Laura to laugh.  It allowed all of us to giggle together.  Shared laughter makes for great memories.  Another friend brought a yummy cake and others bites of deliciousness from their kitchen's.  Our tummies were happy. 


 We all watched as Laura became a little more prepared for the arrival of her blessing with each gift, with each word of advice,  and with each smile, nod, or hug of encouragement from those who love her.




And each placed love upon some simple fabric by use of color, art, and words.   Each one to be appliqued with care on bibs sewn over the next few weeks.  And just maybe when the tears start to fall, the exhaustion creeps in, or the joy is overwhelming a bib will remind her that she is not alone.  She is surrounded by women who have gone before her- who KNOW!  And we are praying for her, thinking of her, and are always there.




And I give special thanks to Lindie, Sabrina, Eden, Julia, Margie, and Donna who came early and helped me get it just right.  And I could  not have done it without Keziah who was silly with me late into the night as we got it all ready.  I am blessed to call you all friend. 

2 comments:

  1. Becca- thanks for all your hard work! it was a lot of fun and I had a great time! you are such a sweet friend and I really appreciate all the thought and effort you put into the shower to make it my own! it was a great start to the "shower" season! love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was beautiful and fun! Glad I got to come. We can't wait for Ella Jane!

    ReplyDelete